Log in with
We are NOT currently recruiting for this position, nor do we maintain a waitlist. Please check back at the end of October 2022 for further updates.
The role of the Be the Match courier is to support our mission by delivering on our promise! This responsibility demands a high level of dedication as well as flexibility. The time commitment is a minimum of 6 days per year (an average of 3 days per courier trip) and courier trips happen on weekdays, not weekends!
Below is a summary of considerations for those thinking about applying to serve our organization in this role.
Ideal candidates are:
- former patients or family members of patients
- donors or family members of donors
- individuals who have a close connection to the stem cell transplant industry with a BTM sponsor (this sponsor can be a current employee of Be The Match or an active Be The Match courier).
- Must commit to a minimum of TWO domestic courier trips within one Fiscal year (Oct-Sep)
- Must live within 90 miles of a major commercial airport with regular scheduled service with one of the major airlines.
- Complies with annual competency review and other Be the Match training and coaching requirements deemed necessary for this role
- Acts as an ambassador and advocate for Be the Match/NMDP at all times, reflecting the highest standards and best practices on every trip
- Tracks volunteer service hours and trip reports using an online tool
- Must be at least 21 years of age to apply
- Must successfully pass a security background check
- Possess a driver’s license that is valid for air travel
- Is willing and able to travel during the current COVID-19 pandemic
- Can only be a stem cell courier for Be the Match, may not work/volunteer for other organizations in this type of courier capacity, or be a commercial stem cell courier
- Possess a major credit card with $3,000 credit available (card is used to cover a portion of the expenses on each trip and will be reimbursed)
- Possess a personal smart phone with a data plan that covers various app downloads and usage
- Has access to computer devices; email address; Word & Excel or compatible programs; access to online forms & websites; ability to scan & email documents in pdf
- Must be highly experienced traveling alone, both air and ground travel
- Medically and physically able to conduct courier activities, such as: sitting for long periods of time, walking swiftly and lifting up to 40 pounds
- Must have great interpersonal skills
- Must conduct themselves professionally at all times
- Understands and supports the mission of Be the Match
- Must be able to follow directions with close attention to detail with the ability to do proactive planning
- Good computer skills needed
- Must be able to manage the stressful situations that will arise with this kind of travel
- Troubleshoots problems and solicits help when needed
There are expenses incurred during each courier trip. The volunteers will use their line of credit to cover costs like hotel, ground transport, parking and food. This line of credit may also need to be used during a travel/weather emergency. The courier will be reimbursed for these expenses (upon timely submission of an expense report) in accordance with the Be the Match/NMDP Travel and Expense policy.
The Be the Match/NMDP courier program does not allow a companion traveler on a courier trip.